Today in Indiana, it’s going to be a very stormy day. I already woke up to a little thunderstorm this morning in our area. Of course Michaela was awake and nervous with it raining outside. Which means Michaela is going to be keyed up and on edge for the rest of the day.
When Michaela was little storms never bothered her. She would sleep right through them at night. Soon as Michaela turned 3 years old it all changed. She would mostly be afraid of the rain especially when it would hit the windows. Michaela would be in a complete panic mode. We would have to leave her door open, with lights on to help her feel safe and secure. Melanie at this point could careless and is not as affected by a raging storm. (more…)
This past week has been super busy for the Higgins house hold!!!!!!!
- Vacation Bible School “Disciples Under Construction” at Allisonville Christian Church June 12th through 16th at 6:30pm to 8:30pm (way past the girls bedtime I might add)
- Michaela’s 5th Birthday June 13th-going to the park then going to VBS for the mini party
- Michaela’s friend birthday party on June 14th from 10:00 am to 1:00pm
- going to the bank to put money in or we would have no money, Wednesday after nap time then having to rush to get an early dinner and getting ready for VBS!
- Melanie’s speech therapy June 16th from 10:30am to 11:30am
- Melanie’s occupational therapy June 17th from 11:30am to 12:30pm
- Kelli’s rehearsal with the woodwind church ensemble after VBS on June15th from 8:30pm to 9:30pm
- Chris’s worship band rehearsal June 14th during VBS
- Chris’s meeting June 16th in the evening
- Michaela’s family birthday party Saturday, June 18th in the afternoon
- Don’t forget Father’s Day on Sunday, June 19th!!!!
Hmmmmm…a couple of friends from church have mentioned to Chris and I about the possibility on getting an autism service dog for Michaela. For some reason have no idea why I never thought about it. So we have been doing some research this weekend. First, here is a link to the article from NPR about service dogs in school and the struggles they face.
I also have found a website for Autism Service Dogs. Now, their are a lot of website’s for Autism Service Dogs this is just an example for you to see what we are looking at.
So basically, here is how a service dog can help Michaela: (more…)
It’s the time of year when the weather in Indiana gets crazy. When Michaela was a newborn wind, rain, thunder, and lighting didn’t bother her. She would sleep right through it. Soon as Michaela was about 3 to 3 1/2 years old, it seems like a switch came on and all the sudden she was slowly getting scared of the weather. It wasn’t all at once, just a gradual issue. She became a very light sleeper. She would get scare mostly with the rain hitting her window at night. Lets face it, she is in a dark room with a loud noise hitting her window, that would make me scared as well. So we