I can’t believe Melanie’s developmental pediatrician appointment is just 2 weeks away, December 1st. I worked so hard to get this appointment starting in April. I waited 2 months to just get the paperwork, then I filled out TONS of paperwork, sending ALL the paperwork back in, waiting for a call about the appointment then learning about the LONG waiting list, and I called once a month checking with the scheduler to see where we were on the waiting list to be called for an appointment. Every time I saw our pediatrician she would ask me if we had an appointment yet. Sigh…so frustrating. (more…)
Well folks the time is here!!!! Michaela will be going to kindergarten. SIGH I have a lot of emotions going on with this huge transition not only for Michaela but also with myself. I had all summer to prepare but as the day nears I am forcing myself not to turn into “that parent” because I don’t want my nutty actions to reflect back on Michaela.
We got Michaela’s paperwork in the mail last week. Michaela’s new teacher will be Mrs. Mullins (which we knew in May after her IEP meeting) I really wanted Mrs. Mullins to be her teacher since she was the one that worked with Michaela at the kindergarten registration last May and she was also at Michaela’s IEP meeting. She is very nice. Also, I have been reassured by Michaela’s preschool teacher that Mrs. Mullins has experience and is excellent working with autistic children. This eases my fears a little bit. (more…)
This past week has been super busy for the Higgins house hold!!!!!!!
- Vacation Bible School “Disciples Under Construction” at Allisonville Christian Church June 12th through 16th at 6:30pm to 8:30pm (way past the girls bedtime I might add)
- Michaela’s 5th Birthday June 13th-going to the park then going to VBS for the mini party
- Michaela’s friend birthday party on June 14th from 10:00 am to 1:00pm
- going to the bank to put money in or we would have no money, Wednesday after nap time then having to rush to get an early dinner and getting ready for VBS!
- Melanie’s speech therapy June 16th from 10:30am to 11:30am
- Melanie’s occupational therapy June 17th from 11:30am to 12:30pm
- Kelli’s rehearsal with the woodwind church ensemble after VBS on June15th from 8:30pm to 9:30pm
- Chris’s worship band rehearsal June 14th during VBS
- Chris’s meeting June 16th in the evening
- Michaela’s family birthday party Saturday, June 18th in the afternoon
- Don’t forget Father’s Day on Sunday, June 19th!!!!
Autistic children like to bolt — they’ll be playing and standing next to you and then, without warning, will RUN. For this reason, we only let Michaela play within the confines of our privacy fence. We have a ton of kids in the neighborhood that like to play in the large area behind our backyard fence.
Kelli and I are not yet ready or comfortable with letting Michaela play with the neighborhood kids. It’s not the kids that are the problem; we’re not yet convinced that Michaela would know enough to not run into oncoming traffic (which is one of the leading causes of death of autistic children.) (more…)
its harder than you think. Yesterday, we had a play date with Belle, 4 1/2 years old and Ethan, 2 1/2 years old. I met Mandy (their mommy) online through www.babycenter.com, when Belle and Michaela were newborns. We found out that we only lived about 10 miles from each other. We have been meeting for play dates for a long time now.
It was a lot of fun sitting back and watching all the kids playing with each other. Mandy and I actually, were able to sit and have a normal adult conversation which was mostly about the kids, but we really didn’t have to chase them down